Wednesday, August 25, 2010

I don't like not understanding

I originally started this blog thinking that I would post sometimes about "deep thinking stuff."  Like my thoughts on feminism, or the Christian culture, or human pain, or what true love is, or my pet peeves about people...  but honestly, I hate conflict, and posting my deeper thoughts to the public is a recipe for drama.  No thanks.

BUT

When I have spent the last week seeing SO many girls come to apply for a family style restaurant in the most revealing and inappropriate of outfits, I have to think out loud a bit.  I really want to figure it out.  Do girls come to the interviews revealing so much because 1. that's what they wear every day and it's what their "personality" dresses like or 2. do they honestly think that it will impress the men interviewing them enough to score them a job?  OR 3. do they think that looks professional? or best yet, 4. do they even think at all?  Help me here, society, because I really don't get it.  Yeah, ok, so I'm a mildly conservative person and I think wearing revealing clothing is not a good idea in any public situation, but I really thought that a job interview, especially in today's market would bring out the best in people.  Logically.  Especially (if they read the ad) for a family-style restaurant?  Am I old-fashioned?  Let me clarify by saying that the immodesty I am talking about is extreme, supported by the opinions of the hiring managers I am working with.
And of course, if #2 is true, what does that say about the men in our society doing the hiring?  I heard someone postulate today that men hire girls that "dress to please" even for family style restaurants because married men with kids need something nice to look at.  If words could describe the contortions of my face...

Don't even get me started on the guy that came in with a dirty white tee and a big bright bracelet that said "boobies" on it.  That's another vent in and of itself.

2 comments:

  1. I would have to go with #4: they arent thinking at all. I was the hiring manager at Vickies for a little while...you should have heard some of the answers I got to interview questions. One of the most important questions was: what would you do if a co-worker was stealing? The responses would make me almost fall out of my chair. The best one was: Well, I wouldnt want to be a tattle tale...so I wouldnt do anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that those are all viable options, to be determined on an individual basis, but I have one more option to pour into the mix.
    So, follow me:
    People who apply for jobs usually need a job.
    This would lead me to think that they do not currently have a job.
    Those currently affected by the recession and without jobs are from EVERY vein of life, from PHD graduates to high school drop outs, HOWEVER, those applying for a lower level restaurant position are lively to be in the dire need of work without much complication.
    So one could say that they need money.
    They do not have much or any money now.
    They have no money for new outfits.
    They normally wear jeans and t-shirts.
    Wanting to look nice, they wear something different and "dress up".
    Dressing up = expensive clothes
    Expensive clothes = going out clothes.

    Maybe?

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts!