...next to my loving husband as he works on his homework. He is currently defining a huge list of cooking terms, such as the official meaning for words like "dice" and "broth" or foreign words I've never heard of like "brunoise" or "chiffonade." Of course most of the foreign words are French, we know how the French love their food. Even after he tells me what they mean, I don't remember, but I can pronounce it all! He had his first classes last Monday and Tuesday (ALL DAY LONG) and his comments indicated that he was not discouraged from loving it or being excited, but it was going to be a LOT of work. He has night classes both nights until 11pm, and right now he is commuting over an hour one way, so I basically don't see him Mondays or Tuesdays. So far he has a wild story about one student cutting the tip of his finger off... ew. Culinary school is not for crystals. I'm praying every day that all of Corey's fingers stay intact. He's made some potatoes this week, practicing the special cuts. It really is quite exciting.
In other news, I decided to stay for now with my current job (DMH Mechanical). The job market is... awful, to pick one adjective, and I will not have worked at DMH for one year until July. Most administrative jobs require at least 1 year of experience. So while I am only working 20 hours a week right now, I have the assurance of returning to full time when the summer heat starts up. You know, when stores and companies' air conditioning quits and their customers leave, they'll call us. I also have picked up one voice student (YAY!!) in Wheatland, and I am sure that I can aquire more because of my dad's choir and band students if I knew I could commit to being in Wheatland weekly. I have no networking in Sacramento to begin teaching lessons, and I can charge much more independently than I could with an agency. So all that to say that working at DMH while teaching lessons in Wheatland could work out really nicely. We'll see how it goes once we move in 3 weeks, get settled, see what kind of part-time job Corey gets, etc. But I am very happy to settle with DMH for now, I like working there and I like being good at what I do. It would be sad to have to learn another company and be "new" at a job again.
We had a wonderful Easter last weekend, celebrating with both mine and Corey's parents all at once! We played games and ate WAY too much food. I surprised Mr. Husband Man with an Easter basket full of goodies that I had been planning for several weeks. I had strategically hidden everything in the trunk of the car (there's nowhere to hide anything in this itty-bitty house) and when I woke up Sunday morning, I tried VERY hard to sneak out of bed, throw a sweatshirt on, slip on Corey's Rainbows and make it out to the car without him waking up. I made it all the way out to the car and back inside when I realized there was one more thing out in the car that I forgot, and in my process of sneaking out again, he woke up and looked at me in my jammies and sweatshirt and hood sneaking out the door and said "What on earth are you doing?" I pouted and said, "Go back to sleep and don't look!" then finished his basket. Almost made it. But he was a happy boy, and he didn't even suspect ahead of time that he would get a basket. :) Here is our first married Easter picture:
Yes, we both got haircuts. Corey had to trim his beard further than this picture for school. I'll admit I like the shaggy version of Mr. Man just a little bit better, but I s'pose keeping beard hair out of the food he makes sounds reasonable. And as for my haircut, I really wanted something that would help me look older, I am 23 for goodness sakes, not in high school. (I know you're thinking, "Be happy you look younger, you'll wish it was that way in a few years, haha"). Ba-humbug, I want people to respect me as a professional adult. I'm not sure if the haircut accomplishes this or not... we'll see.
In other news, I decided to stay for now with my current job (DMH Mechanical). The job market is... awful, to pick one adjective, and I will not have worked at DMH for one year until July. Most administrative jobs require at least 1 year of experience. So while I am only working 20 hours a week right now, I have the assurance of returning to full time when the summer heat starts up. You know, when stores and companies' air conditioning quits and their customers leave, they'll call us. I also have picked up one voice student (YAY!!) in Wheatland, and I am sure that I can aquire more because of my dad's choir and band students if I knew I could commit to being in Wheatland weekly. I have no networking in Sacramento to begin teaching lessons, and I can charge much more independently than I could with an agency. So all that to say that working at DMH while teaching lessons in Wheatland could work out really nicely. We'll see how it goes once we move in 3 weeks, get settled, see what kind of part-time job Corey gets, etc. But I am very happy to settle with DMH for now, I like working there and I like being good at what I do. It would be sad to have to learn another company and be "new" at a job again.
We had a wonderful Easter last weekend, celebrating with both mine and Corey's parents all at once! We played games and ate WAY too much food. I surprised Mr. Husband Man with an Easter basket full of goodies that I had been planning for several weeks. I had strategically hidden everything in the trunk of the car (there's nowhere to hide anything in this itty-bitty house) and when I woke up Sunday morning, I tried VERY hard to sneak out of bed, throw a sweatshirt on, slip on Corey's Rainbows and make it out to the car without him waking up. I made it all the way out to the car and back inside when I realized there was one more thing out in the car that I forgot, and in my process of sneaking out again, he woke up and looked at me in my jammies and sweatshirt and hood sneaking out the door and said "What on earth are you doing?" I pouted and said, "Go back to sleep and don't look!" then finished his basket. Almost made it. But he was a happy boy, and he didn't even suspect ahead of time that he would get a basket. :) Here is our first married Easter picture:
Yes, we both got haircuts. Corey had to trim his beard further than this picture for school. I'll admit I like the shaggy version of Mr. Man just a little bit better, but I s'pose keeping beard hair out of the food he makes sounds reasonable. And as for my haircut, I really wanted something that would help me look older, I am 23 for goodness sakes, not in high school. (I know you're thinking, "Be happy you look younger, you'll wish it was that way in a few years, haha"). Ba-humbug, I want people to respect me as a professional adult. I'm not sure if the haircut accomplishes this or not... we'll see.


I LOVE your haircut! And I do think it helps you look more your age...just so you know. Also, you two are adorable. Also, I miss you :-)
ReplyDeleteI miss you too Shaina! :(
ReplyDelete